Posted by Roman on February 4th, 2009 | Filed under Social Media
A very busy 2008 had Twitter spreading like wildfire. According to Mashable.com, Twitter recorded 2.3 million unique U.S. visitors last August, an increase of 422% from the same period in ’07. Coincidentally, I just looked up my first tweet – 8:15 pm on August 21st, 2008. So yes, I only recently hopped on the tweetwagon and still consider myself a newbie.
Only in the last month have I begun to realize the value of Twitter and the caliber of connections one can develop using this micro-blogging service. I know enough about communication, online or not, to understand that communicating creates relationships and at the core of every relationship is value. Successful relationships are mutually beneficial as well as rewarding and that’s exactly what I mention when someone asks me about starting a Twitter account. It’s also what I try to exemplify when tweeting myself.
My Twitter experience has been brief but meaningful thus far, I even named this blog after my Twitter account. I haven’t stopped learning and when I set out on this journey, I didn’t go it alone. The following is a list of tips and tools I’ve collected which helped me get started, get smarter and get valuable:
- 17 Ways You Can Use Twitter: A Guide for Beginners, Marketers and Business Owners – A good description of what Twitter is and how it can be used.
- 10 Traits of Highly Effective Twitter Users – Be the best twitterer you can be.
- 10 Ways to Increase Your Twitter Followers – Expand your reach with these tips.
- 10 Ways to Decrease Your Twitter Followers - A funny “don’ts” list which can alienate and anger your followers.
- How Twitter Can Make You A Better (and Happier) Person – Must read by Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.com.
- 5 Steps to Going Viral on Twitter – Get people to talk about you.
- 20 Most Retweeted Words and Phrases – Use these words in your tweets to increase your chance of getting retweeted.
- 7 Reasons Why Users Think Twitter Will Go Mainstream – Why Twitter is poised to enter your life sooner than later.
- Twitter Tools for Community and Communications Professionals – The holy grail of available Twitter tools and trends.
- You Know You’re Addicted to Twitter When – Last but not least, a fun read for Twitter veterans.
What are some of your favorite Twitter resources? Leave a comment and catch me on Twitter.